Sunday, September 6, 2009

A new land



How strange to step outside a building and into a new country. I'm sure to everyone else this is not so interesting, but I am very conscious of this fact and how it is impacting on my experiences. Foreign land leads to foreign thoughts. However, I am also aware that it is still me, just walking around, same old Sean. The duality is very stimulating. I'm looking forward to seeing how this shifts my art making.

I'm staying at the Santa Monica Motel on Lincoln Blvd. It is a suitably low-fi affair with modest decor and a certain 'lived in' feeling. My sickness is getting worse, but earlier today I went for a walk around outside to look at my new surroundings and hopefully find some drugs. Despite my blocked head, it was thrilling... African-Americans driving huge cars blasting hip hop from their subs, Hispanic dudes hanging outside Super Pollo, greased Americans talking loudly... so much of it is very familiar, at least as image. And then seeing it for real feels like living in the image, close but distant at the same time.

Maybe I'm being naive but so far nothing seems that out of the ordinary... everyone is essentially doing the same thing... we all just hang out, eat, try to enjoy ourselves. Plus Western culture is all around us. I realise there may be contradictions in what I am saying... exciting but familiar, new thoughts, same Sean... I guess this is the reality of what I am experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment