Wednesday, September 23, 2009

American is my second language



Lately I have taken to doing a bad American accent when hanging out with the locals. I am unsure how far this will go.

Some other brief observations:

- bread here is generally a lot sweeter than in New Zealand.
- water, in a way that is hard to describe, has a stronger taste.

- it is so hot that the air is thick... I have a new appreciation for air conditioning
.
- cars are very courteous to pedestrians.
- burgers are much bigger.
- a lot of the Americans I have met use the words "go ahead" unnecessarily. For example, "I'm going to go ahead and open these windows," or, "Let's go ahead and read this article."
- a lot of the Americans I have met are wonderfully polite.
- Larry King takes on greater significance when you watch him here.
- desert dust is no good for my allergies.
- the world music students occasionally fill the morning air with delightful bells and whistles.
- the writing school students are overtly obscure
- undergrad theater and dance students are skilled at
self-consciously projecting themselves.
- I enjoy waking up in the morning, getting ready for school, then walking across the grass to class.

~~



2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that's a great post! Glad you're settling in well and all :)
    Btw I believe the bread is made of air there, I used to eat 4 pieces of toast with hummus and tea for breakfast and obviously then my cousin thought I was mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you noticed their obsession with cornbread yet? Almost every time I went out to lunch or dinner with Americans they would order it as a starter or side dish. My family also became fans of their over-sized portions; by the end of our trip we had learnt to order only two mains between four of us!

    ReplyDelete